To be honest I don’t know. I am constantly evolving and learning and I love experiencing as much as I can of what life has to offer. As I live with a lot of difficulties and illness I am determined to make sure I make the most of the precious moments of peace and enjoyment that I have. I am who I am in this moment and I hope I will always be changing or growing, or life would shine less for me.
To sum up what has made me grow, to shape me into who I am now I have experienced the following:
First the dull career stuff:
- A Scientific Masters and PhD
- Post-doctoral research
- Working as a copywriter
- Teaching English in a French lycée and privately
Secondly the more interesting stuff:
- I teach yoga and have practised it regularly for 20 years
- I have had a consistent meditation practise for a decade
- I am an athlete.
- I am in love with the mountains: skiing and summer peak bagging, rock climbing and swimming in freezing mountain lakes
- I love books, music and films. I hate television
- Writing is a passion and a way to manage my health problems
Thirdly the health stuff
- I have had mental health problems all my life. I now know that I have bipolar disorder and have had it for as long as I can remember
- I was abused as a child and it unfortunately spilled over into my adult life.
- I was severely anorexic between the ages of 11 and 17 and never got any treatment. Since then I have not learnt to eat normally, to not eat a slice of cake without guilt and compensating in some way. I fell back down into the vortex of anorexia in 2015 and am still clawing my way back out.
- I have been hospitalised four times for my eating disorder; I keep relapsing.
- I have spent time in a psychiatric clinic for my general mental state.
- I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal thinking, manic episodes and depression.
Possibly the most important part of my experience is that I am a mental health advocate, I really want to contribute to a conversation that normalises mental health problems removing the stigma.
I am, and always will be a work in progress.